Milford House Museum

 

William McCrum Park

William McCrum Park

This is the internationally site where William Mc Crum (1865-1932) invented the penalty kick rule which revolutionized sport forever. Located in William Street in Milford village in Co. Armagh in 1890 this was called quarry field and was the football pitch in the village.

Later some matches were played in a field beside Firehouse Lane at Milford factory close to the Callan river and beside Milford railway line. This was known as Railway park. In the 1920s it was moved to Davidson's field on The Ballyards Road. Entry to the grounds was at a style at 'Betts Bridge' just beyond the back entrance to Milford House in the townland of Lisbanoe. It was named 'The Holm' on account of a flat piece of land on the side of the river. This was later abandoned in the 1970s and Milford Everton played at the Cricket Field at Milford factory. In 1987 Milford Everton became Armagh City Football club and relocated to the Mill field in Armagh.

In the 1940s the former football pitch in William Street served as allotments. By 1970s Callan Valley Mills who owned Milford factory had zoned the land for development. In 1996 the world famous site came under threat of development. Thanks to the dedicated hard work of Joe Mc Manus and the Milford Community Development Association a compromise was reached and the internationally famous site was saved. The agreement was the land in the centre was given to the people of Milford and the 'Linen Green' housing development built around it. The William Mc Crum Park was unveiled in 2010 by former footballer Gerry Armstrong. The 2005 bust on the monument of William Mc Crum is by Belfast artist D.P Pettigrew.

The Milford Buildings Preservation Trust works  to promote Milford as the home of the penalty kick. The Trust  to put the the village a world renowned heritage attraction.