Milford House Museum

 

Front Staircase (18)

The front staircase is most opulent and the banisters have grotesque carvings. Its appearance now is detracted from the large grill installed by the Manor House Special Care Hospital. The staircase made by Italian craftsmen dates to the first part of the house which was begun in 1864.

Above the staircase is an oval fanlight which has N,S,E,W inscribed in the frosted glass.

The original lighting effect of the staircase hall was very different today. The balusters and newel posts carried light fittings and there were no drop lights from the ceiling above. Only the light fittings on the staircase lit this part of the house.

On the first floor landing is a large ornate cast iron radiator which now lies in pieces. There was a similar one carved in mahogany with a white marble top at the foot of the staircase, but this disappeared in 2002 shortly after the property was sold by Armagh City and District Council to its present owners.

Please note Milford House and its parkland are in private ownership. They are not owned by Milford Buildings Preservation Trust.Tthere is no public access to the property which is currently one of the top twelve listed buildings at most serious risk in Northern Ireland