Milford House Museum

 

Dining Room (6)

The Dining room was famous for having a proper waterfall in it- something which visitors to the house never forgot. The grotto for the waterfall was at the side which the Manor House School removed in 1940 to make steps into the new wing.

The craftsmanship of the Italian workmen is evident in this room with the paneling. The parquet floor is of similar design to the one in the Ballroom inlaid with border design using a red coloured wood.

A large crystal chandelier hung from the centre of the ceiling with four electric ceiling fans hanging from each corner of the room. When Tony Mc Crum visited his grandfather William in 1923 he was terrified that chandelier hung so low over the table that he was afraid was going to fall on him. The chandelier seems to have disappeared by 1936 (perhaps dispersed at auction) and the four electric ceiling fans were removed in 1938 and sold for scrap by the Manor House School.

The Dining room fireplace which was stolen in 1996

The room was extended in 1940 as part of the building of the new wing for the Manor House School. The fireplace was removed in 1996 by Armagh City and District Council and put in storage in Armagh Goal from where it was stolen.

Please note Milford House and its parkland are in private ownership. They are not owned by Milford Buildings Preservation Trust.Tthere is no public access to the property which is currently one of the top twelve listed buildings at most serious risk in Northern Ireland

Dining room 2008

 

 

1940 extension to Dining room. Photographed in 2008

Dining room panelling in 2008 which by November 2010 is now lying in pieces on the floor.