Milford House Museum

 

Billiard Room (15)

The Billiard Room leads of the entrance hall. The original contents of this room included  a full size Billiard Table, balls,  cues andmarking board made by Wright. There was also a large antique black walnut diamond pane bookcase (lmeased 9 x8 foot). These items were dispersed at the 1930 auction.

In1938 Manor House School used this as Children's Common Room. The room later served as a classroom in the time of the Manor House School is dominated by a large bay.

There is an alcove which originally would have had a sideboard or side table in it and the room has a strong architectural feeling with its pedimentary cornice. The fireplace s had a mahogany surround with a hunting scene depicted on it. It was removed by Armagh City and District Council in 1996, put in storage in Armagh Goal from where it was later stolen.

The parquet floor is rising and is in the worst condition of any of the parquet floors in the house.

Please note Milford House and its parkland are in private ownership. They are not owned by Milford Buildings Preservation Trust.Tthere is no public access to the property which is currently one of the top twelve listed buildings at most serious risk in Northern Ireland

Above: Two photographs of the Billiard Room in 2002

Billiard Room Fire surround lying against the Library wall in 1996 during removal of fireplaces by Armagh City and District Council to Armagh Gaol. From where they were later stolen.